Doug and I just returned from a fun filled 9 days in French Polynesia. It was spectacular.. The white sandy beaches and the green mountains rising out of the ocean.
I knew mom would love it here. As I swam in the very calm ocean ( it was surrounded by a reef probably 1/2 mile from where the waves were, you could walk the entire way there if you wanted. I knew she wouldn't be knocked down but would be able to just dog paddle her way around, enjoying the crystal clear water. The ship had unlimited food. Doug ordered shrimp cocktails sometimes 2 at a time, for many of his appetizers. A few lunches had all the shrimp you could eat. Mom would have loved it. I read a book that Linda gave me on the trip called "Counting your Blessing" by Kerry Blair. She's relating a story of her grandmother and makes a reference that reminded me of mom and brought a few tears. She's telling how her grandmother loved birds and birdfeeders. Her mother didn't like the birds because they were messy. However when she had aged and needed to come live with her, she sold all her belongings save a few and "brought a cheap plastic birdfeeder, clearly left over from the Grandma Administration." It made me think of all the memories I have of my mother's Grandma Administration, and how I think of her each day and how she has influenced my life and helps color mine with vivid memories. Mom, I miss you, but I'm glad you're free to swim the oceans and fly with the birds.
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment